Saturday 23 January 2010


I've spent the afternoon in my pj's working on some sewing projects and going cross-eyed looking through Flickr groups like this one. I finally, finally altered a vintage bathing suit that I bought last summer. It's red, white and blue, from the 50's and perfectly all-American nostalgic. I haven't decided if the ol' world wide web gets to see me in a bathing suit just yet so no photos for you. Yikes! Tomorrow we're off on a road trip adventure to Maryland. I'm sure to return with tons of photos. Those you'll get to see!
 
---------------------------------





dress: vintage (Salvation Army)
umbrella: vintage (Salvation Army)
purse: vintage (America's Thrift, B'ham, AL)


I've been meaning to take some photos of my favorite vintage finds as of late but just haven't gotten around to it. I guess these will have to suffice for now as they incorporate two of my most favorite finds. I've been searching high and low for a vintage umbrella. All the ones I'd found up until now were a bit masculine and I wanted a pretty girly one. This one's just perfect! It was hot and sunny on our afternoon walk and came in handy to stay nice and cool. I've also been craving cotton sundresses from the 50's - 60's that are fitted at the waist. I had a very specific look in mind and was so surprised to actually run across just what I was looking for. I had to take it in a bit through the bust (as usual) and took a couple of inches off the bottom hem. I used the extra fabric to make a little belt to tie in the back.
---------------------------
Here's your first look at just some of the items that will be posting in the store today. Lots of cute florals for summer, mini dresses, rompers, and some shoes I'll have a very hard time parting with. Be sure to drop in and check it all out. Thanks! :)

By the way, the romper in the middle on the third row is this romper. I love it, but it's time to find a new loving home. Maybe yours?




----------------------------------
Night before last, after watching one of my all time favorite stylish movies, Bonnie & Clyde, I decided to go online in search of more 1930's inspiration. I know that Flickr is a virtual treasure trove of photos but I've never really done much searching through the archives. Rhiannon is always coming up with the most amazing collections of photos so I know they're out there somewhere. A little digging around turned up this set titled "Grandma 1930s-1940s". What a fabulous sense of style this lady had! I'm especially loving her striped bathing suit and the polka dot dress in the last photo.



--------------------------------------




romper: vintage (Salvation Army)
shoes: vintage (Ebay)
flower: H&M
purse: vintage (America's Thrift)
-------------------------------------




dress: vintage (Can't recall where I picked this one up. Somewhere in LA)
shoes: vintage (Salvation Army)
purse: vintage (Salvation Army)
sunglasses: vintage (Root's Market)

If you're in the States, HAPPY 4TH OF JULY! If not, have a great weekend! Love ya! - SJ
------------------------------
Here's a sneak peek at a few of the auctions I'm feverishly working on for this afternoon: cute summer dresses and high waisted skirts, more must-have rompers and lots and lots of florals. I was almost too attached to that little IZOD denim skirt to let it go! It even has an alligator on the hip. To see everything, hop on over to the store and check it out. Thanks a million! - SJ



----------------------------------




dress: Evidence of Evolution (Maxfield, LA, CA)
jacket: vintage (Aardvark's Odd Ark, LA, CA)
shoes: vintage (Goodwill)
sunglasses: vintage (Root's Market)

I bought this little jacket when I lived in LA. It's been hanging in my closet unworn ever since. The circus editorials that I've been so fond of recently inspired me to revisit it. Something about the wide coral and cream stripes remind me of the big-top tents. Now I'm wondering why I haven't worn it more often. Next time I'd like to wear it buttoned up instead of open. I'm looking for a skirt to match it with.
------------------------------




This is just a little mini-four-ways post I thought of today as I was getting dressed. I swear I've worn these little flower clips some way or another everyday since I got them. As a matter of fact, they're in my hair right now! Some days they decorate my favorite hat, giving it a little extra touch of summer. Other days I've clipped them to my vest or the straps on a tank top as a brooch. They've even been clipped to a pair of peep toe shoes. I'd really love another pair in pink or red or maybe cream. I haven't made it out to the craft store yet but it is certainly on my list of things to do.
-----------------------------




cutoffs: vintage Levi's (Salvation Army)
tank top: J. Perse
vest: vintage (Slow on Melrose, LA, CA)
boots: vintage (Salvation Army)
purse: vintage (Salvation Army)

A cooler summer evening with rain in the skies calls for summer time boots. Maybe I'm delusional but these seem to not get as hot as wearing black boots.
-------------------------------



Lately, I've really been inspired by the romanticized circus fashion editorials I've seen popping up in magazines. The latest issue of NEET Magazine featured one of my favorites. Shot by Courtney Brooke (another huge inspiration for me), it features girls romping through a magical setting of big tops, dressed as the high wire artist, bareback riders and trapeze artists that would have been featured in circuses past.



Judging by Topshop's preview of their upcoming fall line, I think they got the circus memo (or, perhaps, at least the Miu Miu memo). Whether you fancy the ring master, the daring high wire artist or the slapstick clown, there's something for everyone in the collection.


--------------------------------





dress: Topshop
socks: ???
shoes: vintage (via Ebay)
purse: vintage (America's Thrift)
sunglasses: vintage Raybans (Salvation Army)
flower clip: H&M

I'm sort of addicted to having this flower clip in my hair. They would be so super easy to make. I must put a trip to the craft store on my list of things to do.
------------------------------
If you missed out on that embroidered cream mod dress the first time around, now's your chance (thanks to a non-paying bidder). Be sure to stop by and check it all out. Thanks so much!!



--------------------------------




dress: vintage
sandals: vintage
sunhat: Fairfax Flea Market
sunglasses: vintage

My ginormous sunhat was bought at the Fairfax Flea Market last year as part of a 70's costume for a theme party. I never thought it would come in so handy but the sun has been relentless in its pursuit to burn my shoulders.
---------------------------------

I know, I know! It's been far too long since I've done one of my Four Ways posts. Forgive me! ;) Several of you have been asking about them so I thought it was due time to bring them back. For those of you new to the blog, this is where I take one piece from my closet and show four possible ways to style it. Simple as that! Today we tackle a great new basic - the sheer bow blouse. I've seen them popping up all over the place - from street style sites to fashion blogs. It's a really versatile piece for anyone to have in their closet. This one happens to come from H&M.




  • First, I styled the blouse with a pair of military style denim shorts and a boyish vest. Then, to counter a bit of that boyishness I added a fun pair of printed tights.
  • Next, for a more sophisticated look, I mixed the blouse with a high waisted taffeta skirt and a pair of fun tights and high, high heels. I would loved to have topped the look off with some sort of feathery hat or hair comb, but that's one thing that's missing from my closet. Mental note: must remedy that soon.
  • Then for a more casual look the blouse gets paired with high waisted jeans and skinny suspenders (or braces, if you wish). Complete the outfit with a classic straw fedora and your favorite pair of brogues.
  • Lastly, for a girly, romantic feel layer a floral print dress over the blouse. For a little more frill, let a lacy slip hang out from the bottom hem and stick a flower in your hair.
**Thank you to reader Market Publique for reminding me that I forgot to mention one of the most important parts! When you wear a sheer blouse, of course you need to wear something under it. A lot of people make the mistake of always wearing white under something sheer (like a white bra under a white tee shirt). But really the best thing to wear is something that closely matches your skin tone. That way it just blends right in! I'm wearing a simple "nude" colored tank with a built in bra from Old Navy.
---------------------------------

CLICK NOW
COLLECTION OF WORLD'S BEST WALLPAPERS
WOW WHAT A BEAUTY
AMAZING NATURE
NATURE OF GOD
JAZZ OF LIFE
COOL PHOTOS BANK
BEAUTY OF WILDLIFE
BEST PHOTOS OF THE WORLD

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Toggle Footer